Friday, April 4, 2008
If you live in AR get a flashlight! This week in review
OK so I will start on Monday. We dropped Victor off at the airport, he was off to New Orleans for business meetings. Tuesday we ran errands, it was raining again. I swear all it has done for the last month is rain. I was talking to Em because her parents live in Edmond, OK and they got rocked with tornado's last week. I wanted to check on them they were fine and unaffected, thank God! I then said the words that would later on in the week haunt me. "Tornado's are so scary, I don't know what I would do if we got hit with one". Wednesday we played at the park, the rain had passed and it was warm so I jumped on the opportunity to let Ella run and play at the park with the other kids. Victor had been gone a couple of days and I was already tired! THursday it rained again in the morning, but cleared up in the afternoon so Ella and I went to the Zoo. We had a blast! Ella was so tired she went to bed at 7:20 or so. Now here is where things get interesting. Let me set the scene for you. I am in my PJ's watching the season finale of Make Me a Supermodel on Bravo, LOVE that show! My Mom calls and I tell her it is thundering and lightning so bad out. I thought nothing of it, it storms all the time here. We say our good-nights and not 3 min later I here this siren going off. Side note: I never even knew that their was a siren for a tornado until we moved here and they test the dang thing every month at 12:00. It is like a mile from our apt. so it is sooooo LOUD! OK so back to the story! I first am confused, my first thought being they are testing the siren at 9:15???? I then immediately start to panic! I turn on the local channel and see the state on Doppler with 7 swirly things right on Little Rock! OK so I am by myself, in this stupid apartment, without Victor and this really loud siren is going off. The power goes out, I pick up my cell and call my Mom. Like she can help me from Houston! She tells me to get Ella and get in the bathtub. I go grab the soundly sleeping munchkin and throw Riley in the bathroom. Yes this is where we stayed for the next hour! Me in a bathtub with Ella the 2 year old and Riley the cat! The tornado sirens went off every 3 min for 1 hour. Ella is looking at me like what are we doing, and Riley is thinking oh my gosh this lady is going to give me a bath in the dark at night?! Victor at this point is calling from N O in a panic, because one of his co workers called to check on us. All of you know me pretty well and I don't handle stressful situations in the best way, so I was kinda freaking out! Something came over me and I realized wow I have to stay calm and be a Mommy. I started praying, and I then felt in control of this horrible situation. I stayed on the phone with my Mom and Vic as they were keeping me informed of what was going on. Did I forget to mention we don't have a flashlight or a radio, apparently you need a survival kit in AR during tornado season. (NOTE TO SELF GET A FLASHLIGHT) So we made it through our first tornado unscathed! Ella kept me laughing with her comments "mommy why are we in the bath without water"? She was so funny! We picked Vic up at the airport this morning and got a glimpse of the damage. It was really bad. Cammack Village is about 7 min away and they sustained a lot of damage, trees on houses and cars, power lines down and some natural gas lines broke. We go to their park at least two times a week because it is such a great park and always tons of kids. I hope it is still standing! Benton/Bryant is about 10 min from our new house and they also saw a few tornado's, but our house is still standing we checked first thing this morning! So we made it through our first tornado! Ella is exhausted because we were up until about 1 but she will catch up this weekend! One more week and we close on the house and my Mom comes in for a whole week! Can't wait! I will post pics soon! Hope you enjoy the story!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
oh my gosh!!!!!! how scary! i am so glad you all are okay though! i love make me a supermodel, i watched it too :) at least you move soon and your mom is coming for a week! miss you.
Wow!!! I saw all of the reports on the news about the awful weather in AR. I was going to send you an e-mail to make sure you guys were ok, but then I got so busy at work I forgot. I'm sooo glad you guys are alright. I'm glad your new house made it through the storm too. I bet you guys can't wait to move-in.
:)
Hey girl! I saw on the news that another storm went through AR today. I hope all is well with you guys and your new home!! I'm sure you were very prepared this time. Stay safe!
Post a Comment